2013年3月10日星期日

Week Six: More Practice on Vowel Clusters and Tones

As I did more practice on the vowels in Wuhan dialect, I found that one of the key difficulties for me is to match the suitable vowels with the consonants in different phonological contexts. So in this week, I listened to more autentic samples online and try to grasp the "general" feature of these vowels:
In these authentic sample, I found the following features, not limited to the vowels:

1. There are many differences between Mandarin Chinese and Wuhan dialect in the tonal elements. For same word or similar Chinese character, we may have different tones.
 e.g 要  “Yao”  means "to want", which is the 4th tone in Mandarin, while it becomes the 2nd tone in Euahn dialect. To point out a more systematic changes, I found a chart online to distinguish the changes.

声调

声纽 清 次浊 全浊
三十
六
字
母
见溪晓影
知彻照穿审
端透精清心
帮滂非敷
疑喻
娘日
泥来
明微
群匣
澄床禅
定从邪
并奉
平 阴平45
公书天非
阳平213
由人连迷
阳平
鞋常头旁
上 上声42
敢整子本
上声
咬忍里武
去声
下上坐饭
去 去声35
过至四破
去声
异二内望
去声
换树代伴
入 阳平
哭得发式
阳平
欲热力物
阳平
或直夕拔

http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%AD%A6%E6%B1%89%E8%AF%9D#.E8.81.B2.E8.AA.BF 
 To put the feature in a more straight forward way, we can conclude that 
Mandarin Chinese----Wuhan Dialect:
2 to 3;3 to 4;4 to 2;1 stays as 1.

In addition, as I listen to the autentic example, I noticed some phonological change in some vowels: In 六 (means six, liu, 4th tone), “iu” in “liu” changes into “ou”, sounding like the English “low”, and the tone in Wuhan dialecy changes into 3nd tone. Then, 北 (means north, bei)changes into "be" plus a shwa sound.As I tried to grasp more changes and features in vowels, I found that it is closely related with the prosody rules in traditional Chinese, which links the vowels with the tonal system.  So I referred back to the chart below and added some tonal changes in the original chart as well.



1ST TONE: 55、44
2ND TONE: 313
3RD TONE: 42
4TH TONE: 35 
 
Based on this chart, I practiced both Chinese charaters and the poem again:
1. Single Chinese Characters 
2. Poem Practice

In the practice above, I refer to the tonal changes and found that the archetype atually changed some tones which are not listed below, so I think in the next week I will focus more on the tonal changes in connected speech.

开口呼齐齿呼合口呼撮口呼备注
ɿ子此十支是i一比力七气u五不附户古y女于入主出ɯ二日kʰɯ去(白读)
ɑ八大乍下撒iɑ牙甲恰家瞎uɑ话瓦瓜化刷ɕya靴(白读)
o窝末多左合io约若虐学削


ɤ北得克蛇革ie也别劣邪绝uɤ说国虢或获ye月决掘缺穴“茄”“薛”“劣”开合不定
ai艾拜乃在介
uai外怪快拐衰

ei贝杯最披内
uei瑰未吹锐回
“最”“脆”“岁”开合不定
ɑu奥包刀少早iɑu巧妖了小苗


ou欧口杜六竹iou又牛九囚秀


an南安凡旦短ien言片天千偏uan丸船官款欢yen铅沿倦玄软“全”“癣”“县”开合不定
ən恩硬崩吞存in印民丁巾心uən文坤昏横混yĭn春允永均唇“倾”“寻”“旬”开合不定
ɑŋ汤方上巷郎iɑŋ仰两江香羊uɑŋ王旺窗光狂

oŋ翁中孟木工ioŋ荣茸穷兄雄

开合不定者多表现为“武合汉开”

没有评论:

发表评论